heimdal shared libraries

Hello,

I have a messy problem with shared libraries within Heimdal, perhaps
this is my own fault, but I am not sure what the best way to proceed
is.

heimdal-lib comes with a number of different libraries. Every library
has a different major version. Programs compiled against heimdal-lib
current depend on heimdal-lib (>= 0.2l-7).

My aim: I want to package the new-upstream version 0.2o, especially as
this contains a number important bug fixes (eg that make debugging of
daemons possible without running them via /etc/inetd.conf). Ideally I
wanted to try and push this into potato, but now I am not sure if that
is going to work.

The problem: libkrb5, which comes with heimdal-lib has had its major
version changed from 7 to 9. This means the old packages will no
longer work without being re-compiled.

The fix???

1. Would it be OK just to upload it anyway, and

a) warn people that all heimdal-* packages must be upgraded,

b) file a bug against other packages that use heimdal-* (I think there
is only one - mutt).

c) possibly change the shlibs dependancy (for future compilations) so
that the package depends on the same version of heimdal-lib it was
compiled against (not sure if I like this...)

2. make heimdal-lib conflict with old versions of packages that use to
depend on it? Yuck, this is so horrible, forget I even mentioned it
;-) - then again, this might be the only way unless I can get an
updated package into potato...

3. split heimdal-lib into lib{roken5,com_err1,sl0,ss0,asn1,des2,krb5_9,hdb3,
   kadm5srv5,kadm5clnt4,gssapi0,otp0}? Yuck, if there weren't so many
   libraries... Some of these libraries might conflict with packages
   that already exist (eg libcom_err1), not sure about this.

4. attempt to create my own "pseudo" major number, add it to the
package name, and manually increment it whenever I notice the upstream
major version of any library has changed.

5. nice clean solution that somebody is going to tell me 5 seconds
after sending this message :-) (well... you can always be optimistic
;-) )

All of these (except 5) seem awful choices :-(

4 on the surface might appear to be OK (and might be the best
solution), but remember that you will not be able to install multiple
versions at the same time (despite the different package name) as most
of the libraries will conflict.

If nobody replies, I will:

1. rename heimdal-lib to heimdal-lib0
2. have heimdal-lib provide and conflict heimdal-lib
3. tell everyone to upgrade packages that depend on heimdal-lib.

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>