icons for the menu system

Hi,
after reading the "menu" docs, I found out how to use icons for menus in the
(hopefully) correct way. Just one thing makes me wonder:

3.4. Icons
----------

     Please, make sure the icons you specify are always available on the
     system.  So, if you want to have an icon with your menu entry, the
     preferred method is to supply the icon with that package.  Also, to
     prevent the distribution of icons files to turn too much into a mess,
     please put all icon files in the directory
     `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/{bitmaps,pixmaps}'.

Is every package allowed to put icons into these directories? Can I give the
icon the name I want (in reasonable limit, but who decides whats
reasonable?)?
Why should I not put the icon into /usr/share/doc/package or
/usr/share/games/package ? I am doing that right now and it works fine, the
icons is on the system when the package is installed. But after reading the
doc, I think I have to put the icons in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps and
when the icons has the name of the package, there should be no name
conflict?

--
Christian