debconf: how to use variable substitution in a description?

I'm making use of debconf for the first time; the original postinst
reported a certain amount of sanity-checking information about the
values of certain variables.  So far, I haven't found any way to do
that in debconf.  I've tried using db_subst in various places to try
to pass the values of the variables, exported and not, but no matter
what, the substitutions come up empty.  Is this a supported feature?

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.