Re: fsv package

[Moved to -mentors]

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 10:54:14AM +0100, Daniele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	i did a deb binary package for Daniel Richard's fsv
> (see http://fox.mit.edu/skunk/soft/fsv/)
> I'd used dh_make and debhelper script (new version)
> But i don't know if it's all right so i need some one who say to me
> and to Richard if package's ok ... or at least replay with yes if
> the followed procedure is right:

Have you tried lintian on it?

> * Fill control fields: section, description and name (how can i set
> name?

Name? Of the package! Name == fsv (if you mean the Package: field)
Your name should be in Maintainer field.

>   ... i've tried to set on env USER, DEBNAME ... )
> * change copyright (is LGPLed so i put a reference
> /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL)

And location of the original tarball.

> * change docs
> * change rules (add a configure option and make command, and removed
> call for
>   dh_installmanpages)

If you don't have a manpage you should write one using manpage.1.ex. In the
meanwhile, use dh_undocumented.

> (on source root)
> * debian/rules
> * debian/rules install
> * check if it's all right on debian/tmp ... it seems, ok
> * debian/rules binary
> * if (it_is_all_right==1) be_happy() else have_dinner();

To build a propper package you should use dpkg-buildpackage, for example.

Please install maint-guide, packaging-manual. Details are well explained
there. I bet you want to read the debian-policy, in the package of the same
name.

Jordi

      /   Rediscovering Freedom, Using Debian GNU/Linux    \
     |   Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es   |
     |    Oskuro in RL-MUD   || jordi@sindominio.net        |
     |               http://sindominio.net                  |
     \           telnet pusa.informat.uv.es 23              /