Re: creating man pages

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Othmar Pasteka wrote:

> > What's the "best" way of maintaining or creating a man page?
> > I'll be needing to do that with some of my packages, but it just occurred to
> > me I don't actually know how, apart from cutting and pasting in a text
> > editor.  My guess is there's a simple manpage editor out there, or a
> > sensible emacs mode, so I wouldn't need to use anything so silly as a full
> > SGML environment.
>
> well, there is a howto on writing a manpage which tells you the
> basic things. and the manpage to man (the syntax) is a good
> reference. imho it's not hard to use the direct nroff commands
> for normal manpages. at least i didn't had any problems once i
> know the commands and got used to it.

If you are are writing nroff I'd suggest using gmanedit:

Package: gmanedit
Filename: dists/woody/main/binary-i386/editors/gmanedit_0.3.3-3.deb
Size: 66906
MD5sum: a793b959370c8a9ec683066a2a5194dd
 GNOME Manpages Editor is an editor for man pages that runs on X with GTK.
 .
 It's like most common HTML editors but more easy. You need to know
manpages
 format. You can learn it from 'man(7)'.

> so long
> Othmar