Re: Build-depends: autoconf, automake ?

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 01:00:41AM -0500, Steve Robbins wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I ship the upstream sources with the original Makefile.in's to avoid a huge
> > diff, and only patched Makefile.am's.  I believe the automake-generated
> > makefiles will automatically rebuild .in from .am at compile time, but I run
> > automake explicitly to make it clear that this is what is intended.
> >
> > You should be able to do the same thing with autoconf/configure.in/configure.
>
> I am glad to hear that I'm not alone ;-)
>
> I put "aclocal && automake && autoconf && autoheader" into
> debian/rules.  It all works fine.
>
> But I did not understand what you said about original Makefile.in
> files.  After building once, all the Makefile.in files will be patched,
> creating a huge diff.  Is it the case that you re-copy the original
> Makefile.in files before generating the diff?

No; I always generate the source package from a pristine source tree using
cvs-buildpackage.  One CVS branch contains the original, pristine upstream
source, and another contains the Debian changes.  That way, no matter what the
upstream build process has done to the sources, the diff only includes the
Debian changes (which is all it should include).  Only changes that are checked
into CVS will go into the source package.

I can't imagine not using CVS for Debian package maintenance.

--
 - mdz