What to do with optimization flags ?

   In the case of CPU-hungry applications such as a movie player,
MMX and PentiumPro optimizations can sometimes double the app's
performances. The drawback is that a ppro+mmx binary will only work on a
ppro+mmx CPU.

   What can be done about that ? Doing separate packages doesn't look
very good to me. Doing only optimized binaries isn't acceptable since
they won't run on most boxes, and doing only non-optimized binaries
makes the package pretty useless since most users will rebuild it.

   I thought of doing a package with several versions of the binary,
with a shell wrapper testing /proc/cpuinfo or whatever, and launching
the right binary. But this probably means twice to four times the build
time. Is this acceptable ?

Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> <http://sam.zoy.org/>
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \