Mix of dynamic and static libraries

I maintain distributed-net, which is created from multiple architectures
of upstream binary-only files. The problem is, I also need to depend on
another package, so on certain architectures (ie i386) ${shlibs:Depends}
is empty, and on others it has something in it. The problem arises when
I add another dependency: it either ends up to be
Depends: logrotate,
or Depends: ,logrotate
both of which confuse dpkg-deb. Is there any way around this, seeing as
it will be necessary to have ${shlibs:Depends} on certain architectures?