icon.png => debian/ ?

Upstream sources have no icon for some application.
How I can add an icon to debian/ in other format than xpm ?
When I try to do it with icon.png I receive message:

dpkg-source: cannot represent change to debian/icon.png: binary file contents
changed

The above message is very logical but I am still trying to find some
workaround and I don't want to change *.orig.tar.gz.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
Mariusz

--
Mariusz Przygodzki        |  Good judgement comes from experience.
dune@home.pl              |  Experience comes from bad judgement.