RE: disappearing packages? (webmin)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Jean-Marc V. Liotier wrote:

> > Browsing debianplanet.org, I found an article about webmin, so
> > I thought I'd install it. The article mentioned that he'd apt-got <g>
> > it, but my apt could not find it, so I went to search for it manually.
>
> Same here. I apt-got it after reading the first article, but now dselect
> presents it as a local package. (I run woody i386).

The webmin package was removed from Debian for two reasons:

!. It contained SSL support (and so should have gone into non-US instead
   of main)

2. The maintainer didn't realize that I had already ITPed it and built the
packages in a way that was incompatible with the scheme I was going to
use.

The thing to do in cases like this is to look at the Bug tracking system
for the package 'ftp.debian.org'  The bugs for webmin should also still be
open and mention this.

New and improved webmin packages are on the way.  The last holdup is how
to cleanly upgrade from the old debian packages.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>