Re: Big-endian

On Sun, 2000-Nov-12, Steve Langasek wrote:
> It's my understanding that whether 'char' maps to an unsigned or a signed char
> is a function of the compiler, not of the architecture.  Does gcc really use
> different default values on arm and PPC than on other architectures? If so,
> why?
I wouldn't find it surprising.  The most probable reason would be local
traditions, just like for the calling convention: it's also actually the
compiler's decision but it's done different ways on different architectures
so the object modules for one arch from different compilers can be linked
together.

--
Andres Soolo   <soolo@ut.ee>

Let's just be friends and make no special
effort to ever see each other again.