Re: splitting a package into several debs

Moin,
On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 05:20:13PM +0100, Cesar Talon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First at all, this is my first mail here, so sorry if this isn't the best place
> to ask.
This is absolutely the best and only place to ask questions like this!

> The question is:
>
> I've been packaging it with the help of deb-make into one package, but now I
> want to split it into several packages (maybe binary, libraries, devel and
> docs+examples, or at least binary, devel and data) and would like to know what
> is the best way to do this. One obvious way is splitting the install and then
> choose the correct contents for each package, but that doesn't seem to be a
> very smart approach, looks more like a package butcher...
>
> Any help? any pointers?
I think the easiest was is to start packaging it again (keep a copy of your
old package!) and select library or multiple binaries. The you have to play
a little with the rules file to get things sorted out. Maybe you have a look
at how other people are doing it. When I made my first library deps, I did
not understand and never got to work what dh_make proposed in debian/rules,
I did it differently and it works and I understand why. The easiest way is
to look at other packages, there are so many ways and everybody does it
different, you have to find your own style. Ie some packages are using the
doogie build system (most prominent is xfree, but also apache and many
more), which rocks, but which I find hard to understand, since it lacks
documentation. If you just want to have multiple binaries, libs, docs and
devel packages, you should be fine with dh_make.
If you want to compile binaries from the same or similar source to go into
different packages, you might want to look at the dbs or invent something
similar.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato