RE: libraries

> > In any case, since I'm one of the upstream maintainers of
> the package I'm
> > packaging, I just changed it so that it will compile both
> .o and .static.o
> > w/ different flags. But I'm still interested in clarifying
> your answer.
>
> .static.o is bad because it is not portable to other
> compilers. Why don't
> you use libtool?

Do you mean that non-gcc compilers won't obey -o at the same time as -c?

I don't use libtool because libtool has problems when gcc is used with the
platform's ld on Solaris for example: static initializers aren't called.
Until this is fixed this is a show stopper. Plus, I have no idea if libtool
will handle all the weird IBM platforms this library uses...

YA