Re: which Architecture to select for scripts?

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> > I assume if you have a script which depends on an Architecture: any
> > or more restrictive Architecture:, you still just go ahead and set
> > Architecture: all and let the dependency make it clear which architectures
> > it can work on?

> If you mean, your script depends on a package that is architecure: any, or
> like "Architectre: i386 alpha", then yes. Your script has nothing
> architecture dependent. This way, if the program you depend on is ported
> to a new arch, you wont have to change your package.

But wouldn't that create uninstallable packages for the architectures
where there is no binary? I agree with Ben if the binary package in
question can theoretically be compiled on all archs (i.e. doesn't do
anything hardware-dependent like enumerate PCI devices), but you should
set it to the list of supported arches of the binary package if it
contains hardware dependencies.

PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1