/usr/[share/]info/dir.gz ?

Hi,
where do /usr/info/dir.gz and /usr/share/info/dir.gz come from?

On master usr/share/info/dir.gz is part of emacs20, on va /usr/info/dir.gz
is part of emacs20 and on my (potato) system it does not exist at all (no
/emacs20 installed).

I got a bug report for a package, that the info file of the package is
installed, but not added to dir.gz, so it can not be viewed. Is that the
case? Its working fine here, but I have no info/dir.gz, although there are
some dir.gz files in subdirectories of xemacs2x-support, mule2-support.
Is this a bug of my package and do I have to write info/dir.gz (is there a
dh_command?) or is this a bug in emacs20 or what is wrong?

Christian