newbe I do mean newbe

Help I just installed the debian corel linux on my old amdk6 500 on a new maxtor 20 gig and have a few problems with the awe sound baster 16 no workie my boca external modem 3.36 slow I know but no workie and  my old 15' 640 x 480 monitor corel wont let me see the whole desktop in the kde mode or the kde desktop wont reconize the size of my monitor it is very frustrating that I cant use or learn linux beacuse I cant see half the screen I was able to get the display settings to 640x480 but still cant see the bottom half of the desktop and yes I have tried resizing but when you resize it cuts the bottom half off any suggestions??

please help
Paul