Re: Bug#67896: Support patch for dh_builddeps
- To: Christian Hammers <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Bug#67896: Support patch for dh_builddeps
- From: Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk>
- Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:35:23 -0700
- Message-id: <20000730113523.A21416@polya>
- In-reply-to: <20000730113509.C338@lathspell>; from firstname.lastname@example.org on Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 11:35:09AM +0200
- References: <20000729105620.B3322@lathspell> <20000729192030.A9129@cistron.nl> <20000730113509.C338@lathspell>
On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 11:35:09AM +0200, Christian Hammers wrote:
> > Previously Christian Hammers wrote:
> > > Attached you find a patch against dpkg-buildpackage which creates a
> > > debian/strace.debhelper file when running "debian/rules build".
There was a suggestion to write a wrapper library similar to fakeroot
which will wrap the exec* and open functions (I think that was it) and
log the files exec'd/opened to a log file. joost probably never had
the time to do it, although he said that it was very important that it
was independent of fakeroot; he's tried having them both in the same
wrapper, and it hasn't worked.
This is probably the best way to go: emulate/modify the fakeroot code
to get openlog (or whatever you want to call it).
Also remember one other thing: just because the build uses a file from
a given package doesn't mean that the package should be listed in the
build dependencies: where binary package X is required for the build
and X depends on binary package Y, you don't want to list package Y in
the build dependencies unless you independently require Y. So the
list of packages generated will require hand modification anyway.
(Also, there may be a need for version number listing.) All that this
buys you is the list of packages which were used (which is,
admittedly, very useful).
Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, see http://www.debian.org/~jdg
Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/