Re: FHS query

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, John O Sullivan wrote:

> Hi,
> Can anyone tell me if I'd be breaking any rules by packaging this
> software and placing the binaries and data files under /opt/empire?

/opt is for third-party ("addon") software.  If your package becomes part
of the Debian distribution then it is not third-party is it?

> I've been talking to upstream and their opinion is that making the
> server FHS compliant isn't really feasible at the moment. This code
> has been around for over 15 years and is ported to over 20
> architectures and it has always been done this way. Upstream thinks it
> would confuse old users more than anything else.

But if you break policy willy-nilly it will confuse Debian users.

Here's an idea, how about putting everything into /usr/lib/empire and
making symlinks to the FHS compliant places?  That way could satisfy both
constituencies.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>