FHS query

I'm working on my first debian package at the moment. Its the server
for a multiplayer strategy game (www.empire.cx)
I've got to make a lot of changes to the source to comply with the FHS
so I'd like to double check my plans before I go ahead.
binaries -> /usr/games
data files -> /var/games/empire/data
info files -> /usr/share/games/empire

Does anyone have experience making radical changes to a program to
make it fit the FHS? Could this be worth sending a patch back to the
upstream maintainer explaining what I'm doing and asking them to
integrate it? Is the FHS a widely accepted standard?

thanks,
johno