Dependency thoughts

Hi!

I'm in the process of taking over the uqwk package (having just been
accepted as an official Debian developer), and is updating it to the newest
version. One change that I'm doing is that I'm providing two binaries, one
compiled for nntp support, and one for spool support (they can't have both
at the same time). However, this has made me think a bit about how to
correctly define the dependencies.

The current package, which only comes with nntp support, correctly depends
on the inews package, which *is* needed to post news¹. This program is
needed for the new version as well, but only if I use the nntp version.
Should I still depend on inews?

The current package also depends on mail-transport-agent, which is needed
(by both versions) to send mail. But, if you don't use the mail feature, it
is not needed. Should I really have this as a dependency?

Should I change them both to Recommends, or even Suggests?

--
\\//
peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

¹BTW, is there any inews that really works over NNTP? I'm using an ancient
 non-free program called "mini-inews" from Slackware to do this.

  Statement concerning unsolicited e-mail according to Swedish law:
  http://www.softwolves.pp.se/peter/reklampost.html