Re: Why?: Two hello- packages

Bolan Meek wrote:

> So to my question:  why are there two different names
> for the hello package files, when, apparently, there is
> only a version difference:
>
>  5095 hello-debhelper_1.3-17.diff.gz
>   643 hello-debhelper_1.3-17.dsc
> 87701 hello-debhelper_1.3.orig.tar.gz
>  4946 hello_1.3-16.diff.gz
>   605 hello_1.3-16.dsc
> 87701 hello_1.3.orig.tar.gz

The hello package shows how to create a Debian package.  Its rule file
manually moves files into place.  The hello-debhelper uses
debhelper on its rules file to do those tasks.  Most packages in
Debian are done using debhelper, but that certainly not required
(just easy).

The Changelog for hello-debhelper says what it does differently,
but it would be best if hello-debhelper had a better package
description.  File a wishlist bug report on it.

Peter