Re: InterBase update

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 02:53:36PM -0600, Ed Boraas wrote:
> > Thus we install most of the files(Install.txt, License.txt, Readme.txt,
> > ReleaseNotes.pdf, interbase.msg, isc4.gdb, isc_config, services.isc,
> > udf, examples, qli help database, docs, international library,
> > binaries)  in /opt/interbase as follows:
> >
> > /opt/interbase
> > /opt/interbase/Install.txt

Probably don't need in .deb (as it's irrelevant once the package is
already installed), but obviously keep it in the source package.

> > /opt/interbase/License.txt

Include it in /usr/share/doc/interbase/copyright.

> > /opt/interbase/Readme.txt

Becomes /usr/share/doc/interbase/README

> > /opt/interbase/ReleaseNotes.pdf

Put in /usr/share/doc/interbase.

> > /opt/interbase/interbase.msg
> > /opt/interbase/isc4.gdb
> > /opt/interbase/isc_config
> > /opt/interbase/services.isc
> >
> > /opt/interbase/UDF
> > /opt/interbase/UDF/ib_udf

What are these for?  Are they meant to be directly accessible
documentation or are they internally used files?  If the former, then
/usr/share/doc/interbase.  If the latter, then either
/usr/lib/interbase or /usr/share/interbase according to whether this
data is architecture-dependent or not.

> > /opt/interbase/doc
> > /opt/interbase/doc/*

User documentation?  Goes in /usr/share/doc/interbase.

> > /opt/interbase/examples
> > /opt/interbase/examples/*

/usr/share/doc/interbase/examples.  And shout if they're architecture
dependent.  (In such a case, put the data in
/usr/lib/interbase/examples and symlinks in
/usr/share/doc/interbase/doc/examples or a symlink from
.../doc/examples -> /usr/lib/...

> > /opt/interbase/help
> > /opt/interbase/help/help.gbak
> > /opt/interbase/help/help.gdb

I would guess that these are internally used, so would go in either
/usr/share/interbase or /usr/lib/interbase depending on whether they
are arch-dep or not.

> > /opt/interbase/intl
> > /opt/interbase/intl/gdsintl

What is this?

> > /opt/interbase/bin
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gbak
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gdef
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gds_drop           (Classic Server only)
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gds_lock_mgr       (Classic Server only)
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gds_lock_print
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gds_pipe           (Classic Server only)
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gfix
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gpre
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gsec
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gsplit
> > /opt/interbase/bin/gstat
> > /opt/interbase/bin/ibmgr              (Super Server only)
> > /opt/interbase/bin/ibserver           (Super Server only)
> > /opt/interbase/bin/ibguard            (Super Server only)
> > /opt/interbase/bin/isc4.gbak
> > /opt/interbase/bin/isql
> > /opt/interbase/bin/qli

Internal binaries?  They go in /usr/lib/interbase.

> > gds_inet_server
> > ===============
> >
> > The gds_inet_server is not invoked by users so it can't be installed in
> > /opt/interbase/bin. We install the gds_inet_server in
> > /usr/local/sbin. The entry in 'inetd.conf' file is changed as follows:
> >
> > gds_db stream tcp nowait.30000 root /usr/local/sbin/gds_inet_server
> > gds_inet_server # InterBase Database Remote Server

/usr/sbin, not /usr/local/sbin.

> > header files
> > ============
> >
> > In order to be FHS-compliant, we get rid of the symbolic links in
> > /usr/include. We install the header files as follows:
> >
> > Install the header files (that used to be symbolic links) directly into
> > the /usr/include. This will keep the customer's source code unchanged.
> >
> > /usr/inlcude/gds.h
> > /usr/include/ibase.h
> > /usr/include/iberror.h
> > /usr/include/ib_util.h

Fine.  Or maybe even /usr/include/interbase.  Your call.  (Who would
be compiling with these headers, and where would they expect to find
them?)

> > Rest of the header files are installed into /opt/interbase/include:
> >
> > /opt/interbase/include/gds.f
> > /opt/interbase/include/gds.hxx
> > /opt/interbase/include./perf.h
> > /opt/interbase/include/interbase.a

/usr/include/interbase for the include files, I would guess.  Possibly
even /usr/include directly, but that doesn't necessarily make sense.
Your call.  Isn't interbase.a a library file?  If so, then it should
go in /usr/lib or /usr/lib/interbase.

> > libraries
> > =========
> >
> > In order to be FHS-compliant, we get rid of the symbolic links in
> > /usr/lib. We install our libraries directly in /usr/lib.
> >
> > Classic:
> >
> > /usr/lib/libgds.a
> > /usr/lib/libgds.so -> libgds.so.0
> > /usr/lib/libgds.so.0
> > /usr/lib/libgds_pyxis.a
> > /usr/lib/ib_util.so
> >
> > Super Server:
> >
> > /usr/lib/libgds.so -> libgds.so.0
> > /usr/lib/libgds.so.0
> > /usr/lib/libgds_pyxis.a
> > /usr/lib/ib_util.so

Looks fine.  But why has ib_util.so got no version number?  That might
cause problems....

> > Also we get rid of /usr/interbase symbolic link.

Good.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg