becoming a maintainer q. + ITP: biew

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while on -mentors and -devel,
checking out the developers-reference etc. and
packaged a software I think can be useful.

Now to the questions :)

Should I first of all apply to new-maintainer, or is it better to
first get a sponsor for my package?

The software I've packaged is named biew, Binary vIEWer, much like the
dos program HIEW (Hackers View). It's available at

deb http://alfredsson.org debian/
(== http://alfredsson.org/debian/ )
Biew homepage is at http://biew.sourceforge.net

Package: biew
 Biew  is  Binary  vIEWer  with   built-in   editor   for   binary,
 hexadecimal and disassembler modes. The program also has  text  viewer
 with different  Russia  codepages  support  (Windows-1251,  MSDOS-866,
 etc.).
 Users of the DOS program HIEW will be familiar with Biew.

If anyone wishes to sponsor this package, feel free, otherwise
I'll use the "normal" procedure with the sponsor-page.

I think I have a clear understanding of the packaging process,
however lintian complaints about

E: biew: old-fsf-address-in-copyright-file

Since debian/copyright is derived from the original copyright file,
 should the first error be fixed with the upstream?
(Since I dont want to make any changes to the original one, which is a cut'n'paste)

Biew can be built with vt100, ncurses or slang support, of which I chose
slang. Is this OK, or are any of the other better?

I'm also looking for a developer in Sweden, preferably around Karlstad,
to sign my gpg key (Fredrik, have you had any luck? :)

Regards,
	Stefan