Re: Devices and patches

Hi David,

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, David Fernandez Vaamonde wrote:

> The program needs a patch to be applied to the kernel... How can you mark
> this need in the package ? Should it be automatized?

I went though this same thing with "wanipe" package.  If the patch is
stable, but unlikely to be part of the upstream kernel anytime soon, you
can ask the maintainer of the Debian kernel packages (Herbert Xu) to
include the patch.  If it's not too intrusive and can be compiled as a
module, it can be part of the "stock" Debian kernel.  Otherwise, it could
be part of the kernel source package, and you would include notes in your
package about how to build the source.

Hope that helps,
tony

P.S.  Your English seems to be very good indeed.

  tony@mancill.com     |  Race is not a competition
http://www.debian.org  |  Sex is not a job description
            (Peart ->) |  We hold these truths to be self-evident...