Re: NewbieQ's: packaging Java software

On Saturday 1 April 2000, at 12 h 41, the keyboard of "E.L. Willighagen"
<egonw@sci.kun.nl> wrote:

> 2. Problem two: my software actually needs Jdk1.2 so it wouldn't compile...

The JDK 1.2 is horribly non-free. If your program depends on it, it will have
to be in "contrib" instead of "main". For the sake of free software, I suggest
that you try to see if your program works with Kaffe or can be compiled by
jikes/gcj to native code.

>    i couldn't find a JDK1.2 debian package at the Debian server... is Jdk1.2
>    actually compiled or ... ???

Licensing problem, but also lack of interest, Debianers prefer free software.