autoconf

Hi,
I am trying to package a program using autoconf, automake, the whole bunch
of it. I have no experiance with that, my problem is, after building the
package, config.in, configure, Makefile, Makefile.am have changed and I get
a huge diff file for the package (I needed several tries to build). I
think, the source should be in its original state again after building, how
can I achieve this? Do I have to save these files before buildiing and
restore them again? Should I delete them in the clean target and create them
all again from whatever input files (and how)?
Id like to have a small diff, since I did not change anything with the other
files, they  just get changed, because the aupstream author uses newer
packages than me. I think its not good to have such a huge (superflous) diff
for the source package, since those files probably get rebuilt anyhow on
other arches?

Any hints apreciated...

Christian