Re: Looking for sponsor

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 08:39:00PVM -0800, Rick Younie wrote:
>> ..
>> The only problem lintian has with the two function packages is
>> 'useless call to ldconfig' after install/remove but regina
>> needs this to find the libs so I think these warnings are ok.
>> The headline clicker is lintian clean.
>
> Actually, it's quite right; there is no need to call ldconfig.
> Your library is just called /usr/lib/librexxtk.so. Usually your
> library should be called librexxtk.so.major.minor, and ldconfig will
> make a symlink from that to librexxtk.so.major.
>
> The problem is that your library has no soname. That's generally
> bad. There are other libraries with just .so names that do still
> have sonames.. actually, lintian doesn't know that your .so file even
> IS a shared library. You need to modify the linking command in the
> makefile.

Thanks for checking it out.

I saw this in policy 4.3 but thought soname (and a -dev package)
weren't necessary in this simple case.  I guess the warning in
the new maintainer doc to stay away from libraries for your first
package is there for a reason :-)

I thought that ldconfig had to be run for Regina to find
librexxtk without specifying the full path but this isn't the
case.  I removed the package, rebooted :(, reinstalled w/o
ldconfig call -- did a 'strings /etc/ld.so.cache' and no mention
of librexxtk now -- and Regina apps find the lib fine with

  call RxFuncAdd 'TkLoadFuncs','rexxtk','TkLoadFuncs

Would it be sufficient to just leave out the ldconfig
postinst/postrm now that lintian no longer complains?

Or if soname/ldconfig, should I rename the package rexxtk0?

Thanks,
Rick
--
younie@home.com