Re: GIF files in package

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 05:44:22PM +0100, Christoph Baumann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know this has been discussed before, but I weren't concerned and didn't
> listen, sorry. Just now I submitted an ITP for a package which contains a
> GIF file in it's docu. Should I try to convert it into e.g. JPEG?

I am not a lawyer, but the way things seem to me, there is no harm in
distributing the .gif -- and depending on which program was used to create
the gif (photoshop, Micros~1 products, etc) it can even be legal.

On principal, however, convert the silly thing, send the new .jpg upstream,
and be done with it. It makes a nice statement. (If .gif was selected
because it is better at handling computer-generated images, you might want
to convert to .png -- many linux programs that can deal with jpg can also
deal with pngs, and png is lossless -- making it look better for all images,
but noticably better for computer-generated images.

hth :)

Hate spam? See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for help
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!