Re: Mp3 encoders

On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 12:31:44PM +0100, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> The other day I was wondering why there aren't any Mp3 encoders in the
> distribution. Is there any law that prevents us from including them?

Some idiots in a few of the world's governments have made the decision to
allow patenting of algorithms.  The owner of the mp3 patent in the US and
in Germany has been lawsuit-happy over the technology and while there is
plenty of prior art for the technology, nobody with the money to fight
this in court has decided to fight this patent.

I still don't see why mp3 players could not be packaged into non-us, but
hey, if I can't package mp3 encoders, I know where to get the source.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

2.3.1 has been released. Folks new to this game should remember that
2.3.* releases are development kernels, with no guarantees that they
will not cause your system to do horrible things like corrupt its
disks, catch fire, or start running Mindcraft benchmarks.
        -- Slashdot