Re: how orig should orig.tar.gz be?

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 12:11:59PM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> relative to this source. Now for reference I looked into other packages for
> reference and noted that some people repackage the upstream source, where it
> is not necessary. Easily notable when you look at the owner and group of the
> orig source.

Very good observation. I also make it a point to use the real upstream
source where it can be done. I think a reason for repackaging is that
the tools make it easy:

    tar xvfz /somewhere/foo-2.23.tar.gz
    cd foo-2.23
    dh_make

At this point if you go on and then finaly do a "debuild", you'll get a
repackaged source. What you should do is follow the above with:

    cd ..
    rm -rf foo-2.23.orig
    cp /somewhere/foo-2.23.tar.gz foo-2.23.orig.tar.gz

This way you'll be using the real original source.

Hope this helps,

Bart.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed