Re: Confusion about package naming -- please help!

Chris Rutter wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > As Antti-Juhani says, use lowercase. It doesn't matter what directory
> > the .orig.tar.gz unpacks to; dpkg-source will cope. Don't extract it,
> > rename it, and recreate the .orig.tar.gz just to fix the directory name;
> > it's better to use "pristine source" -- meaning the exact .tar.gz
> > provided by the upstream author (renamed of course to .orig.tar.gz).
>
> I'm probably being thick, but I don't see how to do this -- if I re-
> created the .orig.tar.gz file with lowercase names instead, then I
> wouldn't be using the pristine source, would I?
>
> Is there some incantation to dpkg-buildpackage to tell it what the
> name of the original source directory is (i.e. not `mlib-1.6.1.orig'
> but `mLib-1.6.1.orig')?

No.

Say you downloaded mLib-1.6.1.tar.gz as the pristine source.
Simply _rename_ it to mlib_1.6.1.orig.tar.gz

# mv mLib-1.6.1.tar.gz mlib_1.6.1.orig.tar.gz

It still has the same md5sum even if it has changed names.
dpkg-buildpackage will cope with the fact that it is unpacked in
mLib-1.6.1/ (or whatever).

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada