Re: /usr/lib

Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@uni-konstanz.de> writes:

> I don't want to put them in /usr/sbin (where portsentry resides). What's a
> good place to put them in? I thought about /usr/lib/portsentry/ - is this FHS
> compliant?

No. Variable data can't go into /usr.

I believe the right answer is /var/state/portstentry/ or
/var/run/portsentry/, depending on which of the following more closely
describes your needs (read these sections for full details; the
FHS is included in the debian-standards package):

[from sec. 5.9, /var/run]

  This directory contains system information files describing the
  system since it was booted.  Files in this directory should be
  cleared (removed or truncated as appropriate) at the beginning of
  the boot process.

[from sec. 5.11, /var/state]

  State information is data that programs modify while they run, and
  that pertains to one specific host.  Users should never need to
  modify files in /var/state to configure a package's operation.

  State information is generally used to preserve the condition of an
  application (or a group of inter-related applications) between
  invocations and between different instances of the same application.
  State information should generally remain valid after a reboot,
  should not be logging output, and should not be spooled data.