Re: Version number question

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> I'm packaging a snapshot of XTide, version 2.2dev dated
> 1999/10/17.  The date matters because the dev version may change
> without changing version number before 2.2 is released.
>
> I can't call it xtide_2.2dev19991017-1 because upgrades won't work when I
> later package xtide_2.2-1 (unless I use epochs then).
>
> I wish the default epoch was `1', that way I could use `0' now
> and it would work.
>
> What's the best I can do?
>
>   xtide_2.1.99dev19991017-1
>
> e.g 2.1.99 < 2.2
>
> Any better ideas?

If you don't want to be absolutely "orthodox" you could name it:

xtide_2.2-0.19991017

This would not be "orthodox", because in principle the date should be part
of the upstream version, not part of the Debian version, but at least it
would allow you to name it "2.2-whatever" during the development stage
instead of using the (not so nice) 2.1.99 trick [ Please note that in this
case you would have to use pkg-buildpackage -sa whenever the upstream
source changes ].

This is just an idea. IMHO, the 2.1.99 idea is good enough.

Thanks.

--
 "d5b2a1b789ecb6a548fb13f8bc4ff7fc" (a truly random sig)