Re: CPU specific binaries

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Darren O. Benham wrote:
> > I would have thought that it would be fairly easy to change the compile
> > option in the debian source packages (im not very familiar with the format)
> > so it would be easy to make cpu specific builds of debian.
>
> It depends.. if you are suggesting that Debian only support a small class
> of CPUs, yes.  You are offtrack.  Debian is specificly trying to support
> 486 computers as well as the newer stuff.
>
> If, on the other hand, you're talking about doing something for yourself or
> for some derived distribution... more power to you...

On that topic, what is the optons at compile time to optimize a pkg for a
specific CPU? Or do I need a utility for that? Or am I completly off base
and the standard "make" will do that for me of my system only for my CPU?

-Kalen Honeyfield
Knowledge comes by taking things apart-analysis. But
wisdom comes by putting things together.
	-John A. Morrison, President, Anderson College