Re: Changing package names

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Joe Drew wrote:

> Something that's been going through my mind recently is the
> following:
> Say I had package foo, and all was going well. Then, upstream,
> they change the package name to 'bar,' and I decide to go along with
> it.
> How could I go about making it automated for an upgrade to happen?
> Could I drop a Depends: bar in the new (pseudo) foo package, and
> put a Conflicts: and Replaces: in bar for foo?

For the old foo or for both the old and the new foo?

> Or is there /any/
> way (because Conflicts: seems to suggest it can't be done) to
> automate the upgrade to a package which has changed names?

It may depend on what exactly you call "automated".

Currently, the only known way to force an upgrade of a non required,
important or standard package is to provide dummy packages which depend on
the new ones, as you plan to do.

If the new ones try to be very "clever" and conflicts and replaces the old
ones (so that they are removed), the end result is not very user-friendly,
because you have to deal with dselect's dependency/conflict resolution
screen twice.

If the new packages just conflict and replaces the old one, the upgrade
should be a little bit more smooth, but you have still to remove the dummy
packages by hand. [ This is a good reason to put the dummy package under
the libs section ].

Thanks.

--
 "3ad3712ad9f39924b8019e53dedc1ae5" (a truly random sig)