arch-specific binary-only rebuild

Quick question...

Say I want to rebuild _my_ package xcolmix_1.07-1_i386.deb
against new libraries and reupload it.  I know I can renumber it
xcolmix_1.07-1.0.1_i386.deb and not upload new source and .diff.gz files.
              ^^^^

What's the method for _generating_ the new deb?

The only way that I know is editing the debian/changelog such
that dpkg-buildpakage makes the proper version number package and
generates a proper changes file.

Or is there a way to do this with command line option to avoid
editing the source tree at all?

If not, I presume that I remove the changelog entry after the new
deb is build (so that it doesn't appear in subsequent uploads as
part of the history).  Right?

Thanks,
Peter