Re: How to manage a new upstream version

On Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 01:47:32AM +0200, Mauro Mazzieri wrote:
> I'm working on hwtools. It's composed of many binary, and there are some
> new upstream version of them.

Oh, good, someone will work on hwtools :)

> My problem is: what is the best method to release a package with a new
> upstream version, without restarting all the work from scratch (dh_make
> etc...)?

Well, hwtools is a tricky package, because it is a semi-Debian-native,
meaning that it has an .orig.tar.gz archive which includes several different
unpacked tarballs, and it has the Debian generated .diff.gz containing our
changes... not my idea[1] :)

You should unpack the current hwtools .orig.tar.gz in a directory
(hwtools-0.5/ I guess), and unpack a all the new tarballs in that directory
(and remove the old trees, of course). Then go one dir up, and do
tar czf hwtools_0.5.orig.tar.gz hwtools-0.5/
patch -p1 < /wherever/hwtools_0.4-2.diff.gz

Whatever gets rejected, fix, try building the package, polish it up,
and that's about it.

[1] IMHO it should use a DBS source package, but there's no rush for that.

--
enJoy -*/\*- don't even try to pronounce my first name