when to chown a file

Hi there.

I'm trying to debianise smartupstools (www.exploits.org, very nice). If
it'll do, I'd like to apply for a maintainer (it's going to be funny too,
as I read the mails here), but for now I'm quite stuck:

There are two daemons, running as nobody.nogroup, and they need to access
the state file (/var/state/ups/*). Could you tell me where & how to chown
it? I'm using current debhelper package, with dh_fixperm in debian/rules.

I know there's a lot more stuff around this which should be discussed in
deb-devel, and I'm looking forward to :-) .. for now I just want to build
the package for myself, thus learning how to do things.

--
jozef  :-)