Re: Guidance while adopting freeamp package

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 02:28:49PM -0400, Ian Peters wrote:
> Well, my first questions are:
>
> I have been working with the old package, updating it to the latest
> release of freeamp.  I have changed the Standards-Version to 3.0.0
> from 2.4.0.  The documentation, which I expected to be installed in
> /usr/share/doc/freeamp, is installed into /usr/doc/freeamp.  Is this
> normal?
It is if you are using debhelper.  It also means the Standards-Version is
*NOT* 3.0.0.  You'll have to install docs and manpages manually to achieve
that or stay at 2.5.x until debhelper is upgraded (no idea when).

> When I run lintian on the resulting package, I get lots of errors such
> as:
>
> E: freeamp: unstripped-binary-or-object usr/lib/freeamp/plugins/freeamp-linux.ui
> E: freeamp: shlib-with-non-pic-code usr/lib/freeamp/plugins/freeamp-linux.ui
> E: freeamp: shlib-with-executable-bit usr/lib/freeamp/plugins/freeamp-linux.ui 0755
> E: freeamp: no-shlibs-control-file usr/lib/freeamp/plugins/freeamp-linux.ui
>
> (The ...'s are just the same error repeated for another one of the
> plugins.)
>
> What should I do about this?  This was also present in the original
> version of the package I am adopting.  Is this really an error, and if
> so, what do I change to fix this?
I don't know enough about freeamp to comment on this...