Hopeful new packager needs help.

Hi,

I'm new to this list. I am attempting to package a few apps, that I believe
are worth while in the Debian community. I am having trouble though. I have
read the First time HOWTO and the deb-make doc. They seem pretty forward,
but I must be missing something. When I come to the step of running
debian/rules it exists with an error 1, which I'm not quite sure what that
means. The first package I am attempting to package is a binary source and
has no make file as I keep reading is needed (this could be where I'm lost).
Can you package binaries? (I assume you must be able to). Or do you need to
compile the source into a .deb?

Roderick P. Person
Programmer I
CCBH (412)454-2616

 "We're not that good. Everyone else just sucks!"
         - anon. Navy Seal