Re: Essential stuff in /usr/doc (Was Re: Installing things into a...)

Hi,

 Peter> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 >> Umm. I should be able to nuke /usr/doc on a machine and still
 >> have it work

 Peter> Why would you expect that?  It's not policy yet.  Some packages
 Peter> have _all_ their useful info in /usr/doc (debian-policy,
 Peter> developers-reference, mh-book, etc)

        Yes, it is not policy (yet). I did not say it is an erorr --
 or that it violates policy. I just intended to comment it is not an
 unreasonable thing for users to do.

        Oh, I would expect that if I remove /usr/doc, I shall have no
 access to the documentation thus removed (well, duh). That includes
 the documentation only packages. I was not aware we were talking
 about doc only packages here, though.

 Peter> If we (collectively) decided to do that as policy, then the above
 Peter> packages would surely be changed to move essential files out of
 Peter> /usr/doc.  So why suggest different rules on wdg-html-validator?

        If we so collectively decide, then the move shall be
 mandatory. All I am saying is that while we have a choice, there are
 reasons not to put things that the package needs while working in
 /usr/doc. I am not forcing anyone, I am merely offering advice.

        This is the -mentor list, is it not? Not the -policy list? I
 am offering what I think is a better solution, not that the solution
 provided violated policy.

        You may choose to ignore advice.

        I think that if we choose not to put things in /usr/doc
 voluntarily, then it a) shall be easier for for people to nuke
 /usr/doc on their machines, and b) make it less of an effort to move
 things off.

 >> The problem is similar to that of navigation button images in
 >> html files generated by latex2html. The solution there was to create
 >> the /var/www/usr/lib/latex2html/icons/ dir, and symlink the iocons in
 >> from /usr/lib/latex2html/icons/.

 Peter> Isn't that simply so the same links work with either prefix file: or
 Peter> http://host/ ?  (I speak without knowledge of that package).

        That too. I understand that we are talking about a CGI script?
 Well, there were browsers that could run CGI scripts without needing
 a server (lynx?), and the /usr/doc ==> /doc alias is not visible. My
 latex2html hack enables one to use lynx on ones local machine for a
 quick look.

 Peter> (I have a perhaps similar problem with mh-book: I wrote a cgi-bin
 Peter> search engine that returns URLs like file:/usr/doc/mh-book/...
 Peter> and so it won't really work for remote hosts accessing mh-book
 Peter> through http://SERVER_NAME/doc/mh-book; the solution is probably
 Peter> to return http://SERVER_NAME/doc/mh-book URLs instead of
 Peter> file:/usr/doc/mh-book because that also works locally but then I
 Peter> have to parse config files to get the SERVER_NAME like dwww does.
 Peter> I assume I can't expect $ENV{SERVER_NAME} to work for all
 Peter> cgi-bin capable web servers as it does for Apache)

        But not all cgi-bin capable browsers ;-)

        manoj

--
 You should never bet against anything in science at odds of more than
 about 10^12 to 1. Ernest Rutherford