Re: Installing things into a system's webspace

Hi,
>>"Jaldhar" == Jaldhar H Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com> writes:

 Jaldhar> I just uploaded the WDG HTML Validator.  I put the HTML in
 Jaldhar> /usr/doc/wdg-html-validator.  Policy says /usr/doc should
 Jaldhar> map to the URL /doc.  And yes, /usr/lib/cgi-bin is the right
 Jaldhar> place to put CGI scripts.

        Umm. I should be able to nuke /usr/doc on a machine and still
 have it work (think about mounting /usr/doc from a common point). I
 would hesitate to put things in /usr/doc where removal of that dir
 would degrade performance.

        There have been proposals of enhancing the install process to
 allow users to set dir trees where things are not installed (like if
 I have a bunch of identical machines where /usr is shared I may only
 want /usr updaed on one machine). This can also be used to zap
 /usr/doc on machines where disk space is tight (also, I see no reason
 to have /usr/doc on all my linux boxes -- one is enough).

        The problem is similar to that of navigation button images in
 html files generated by latex2html. The solution there was to create
 the /var/www/usr/lib/latex2html/icons/ dir, and symlink the iocons in
 from /usr/lib/latex2html/icons/. The html files refer to
 /usr/lib/latex2html/icons/blah.gif; and that is valid if the base is
 file://localhost/ or http://myfqdn.org/.

        That way is a slight hack, but it works for viewing the pages
 with or without a HTTP server, and no images are duplicated.

        manoj
--
 If while you are in school, there is a shortage of qualified
 personnel in a particular field, then by the time you graduate with