Re: multiple OS partitions

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 12:27:53AM -0400, Rod wrote:
> I have a large HD with several partitions already created. On one of
> these I want to install debian 2.1
>
> I have read the install manual, however, i have some questions before i
> start:
>
> i have installed redhat 5.1 on another machine and understand that Linux
> names drives differently than Windows/Dos, my question here is how will
> Debian GNU/Linux "see" my single HD with multiple partitions, how will I
> insure myself that I install on the right partition?
>
> Will hda be my first partition or will it be the first partition on my
> Linux "disk"?

Your drive will be /dev/hda.  On this there will be several partitions,
hda1, hda2, etc.  When you run Linux fdisk, it will show all the
partitions and any empty space (in which you can create new partitions).
If the entire disk is already partitioned, you will need to remove some
partitions to leave raw disk space for Linux to partition and install
unto.

Unlike Dos/Windows, Linux is fully aware of the entire disk.

Bob