Menu-entry and Variable holding X-clipboard

Hello,

I'm packaging a dictionary with a little shellscript to lookup the
words. It is possible to invoke this script with the X-clipboard as an
argument. It will spawn an xmessages window with all translations in
the dictionary. So I have to use a variable with the content of the
X-clipboard. In windowmaker this variable is called %s. So it is no
problem to create a menu-entry for windowmaker. But the content of
the X-clipboard will not stored in %s in every windowmanager. (I
think there must be an windowmanager, wich is differnet) So my
question:
Is there a way for all windowmanager to get the content of
the X-clipboard?
Or is it possible to create a menuentry only for
windowmaker.
Or should I skip the entry for the debian menu-system?
But it is very useful for people surfing the WWW. Mark a word in the
browser with the mouse hit an shortcut and get some suggestion for
the word in their language (english or german now, there are more
free dictionaries, but lets start with english - german).

Thanks for your advice

Kind regards
Matthias Kabel