Re: version numbers

In foo.debian-mentors, you wrote:
> I wrote:
> > I am also just a bit astonished by the notion that 1.1 < 1.02.
>
> Ben Collins writes:
> > Numerically this is the same as saying 1.1 < 1.2 or 1.01 < 1.02. Dpkg
>
> The leading zero is clearly intended to imply a decimal point.  This is in
> no way incompatible with the kernel numbering system.
>
> This is irrelevant, though.  Dpkg is not going to change, and the upstream
> author has made his decisions.  Must I use an epoch?

I think (IMHO) epochs are a bad thing to use on a regular basis.  They are for
when a mistake is made, not to compensate for a broken versioning system.

You may be better translating the upstream authors versions into a scheme
that dpkg can grok.  If you understand the upstream author's intentions,
and can map it to a suitable scheme that can be easily recognized as
being equivalent to the upstream version, then go for it.  Otherwise, I
think you are stuck with epochs.

-Mitch