inclduing debian directory in upstream source?

Hi,
what is the best way to include the debian directory (no patches to the
source) in the upstream source? Or is this not recommended at all? I have
sent the debian diff to the upstream author and he included it (I wrote a
small manpage, but he is not using it in his makefile yet). The problem I
see is, that the debian diffs (mainly the changelog) will allway lag behind
the upstream source, since I can edit it only after he has released the
source.

Ciao,
Christian.