New package problems

In my new package I have the following problems:
1. It has no copyright notice. No email contacts and about four names of those
who wrote it. Apparantly it was some sort of university project. Anyway I
cannot contact anyone and it was downloaded from an ftp site which has no info
on it other than it was uploaded by unknown in 1992. It was written in 1989.

2. It is an artificial life/genetic algorithom program. It is both fun,
educational, mathematical and computer scientific. Where does it belong in the
archives?

I am porting it to gtk/gnome and gpl-ing it. Shoud i do this before i first
release it to make it legal, or should i just write a note with it describing
the circumstances and then gpl it. It seems to me that it was meant to be
released that way... if there is no copyright or restrictions, then the
authors don't seem to be after money! (Of course I would acknowledge them)

Kind regards,

John Travers