Re: How to get hold of the "sather" maintainership?

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Norbert Nemec wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted couple days ago to debian-devel, asking about the package
> "sather", officially maintained by kai@debian.org. He obviously took
> over that package two years ago and never submitted. Now I got a
> response from someone who obviously knows Kai, and who told me he would
> probably be OK if I took over that package.
>
> Still I haven´t got any sign from Kai himself and now I do not know,
> which step to take next. He did never orphan the package, so I can´t
> simply apply to do the packaging. But then, there must be a way to do
> that anyway, in case he does not answer at all.
>
> In addition to all of that, sather would be my very first package and I
> have to apply as a developer first. (That is, why I chose to post to
> this list)

Well, you've presumably emailed Kai, and had no response?

That's the first step.

Then, you produce a package, test it locally, and upload it as an NMU.

If Kai still doesn't get in contact, it's reasonable to send him another
message saying that you're happy to take it over since he seems to be
busy, or unavailable.

And, a reasonable time after that, upload a version with your name in the
maintainer field.

It is considered friendly to make clear to Kai that he can have the
package back if he wants (this avoids any sense of 'package poaching').

Jules