Re: hamm-->potato

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Jonathan P Tomer wrote:

> hi there, i'm running a hamm system and would like to move to potato. does
> anyone out there know whether it's better to just upgrade/add packages or
> actually nuke hamm and install potato from scratch? it wouldn't be too
> inconvenient, since i have an easy way to store my /home and /usr/local,
> but it raises another problem which is that i've got a cable modem and my
> cable service not only uses dhcp for ip assignment, but has a special "logon
> protocol" (to prevent intruders from breaking into my house and stealing my
> bandwidth or something :p) for which i've got a perl script; can boot-floppies
> handle this? (before you ask, i downloaded a cd image for hamm, but i'd
> rather not waste time borrowing my friend's cd writer again and besides,
> dselect's cd method uses dpkg -R which is really painfully slow (or has this
> changed?))

I'd recommend upgrading to slink first, then potato.  'apt-get
dist-upgrade' makes upgrading pretty safe and straightforward (although
you should expect potato to break occasionally.)  There's no need to
install from scratch (I don't think you can do this with potato yet
anyway.)  Upgrading in place is one of the nice features of Debian.

Bob

----