Re: conflict/replace/provide

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 02:18:36PM -0500, Shaleh wrote:
> >> Would seem so, but there could be a reason why version 0.2.1 was needed
> >> rather
> >> than 0.3.  Provides will please a package's depends as long as it does not
> >> care
> >> about the version.
> >
> > That also makes sense. Unfortunately, it makes replacing any library
> > impossible since most (all?) libs have versions in shlibs :(
> > Actually, it is possible with forcing, but...
>
> Correct.  I had the same problem when I tried to change Imlib's name.  Look
> thru the history for that debaucle (-:

You don't have to tell me, if I ever upload this libxpm before dpkg gets
fixed, I won't live long enough to see it installed in the archive  :)

Current xpm packages look bad, but at least the contents is okay, so
I'll just wait for dpkg people to enable this whole renaming thing.

In the meantime, I'd like someone with non-i386 machine to try and build
what I've done so far, at http://master.debian.org/~joy/. From my
experience, the best testing a package can get, is to get ported.